Oasis Rooms & Studios - Oasis Rooms & Studios

universal-preloader
A- A A+

contrast-1127231849

FacebookTwitterGoogle BookmarksLinkedinRSS Feed

Cathedral Church of St. George

The Church of St. George is the church that dominates the hill of Ano Syros and the metropolis of the Catholics of Syros.

The first temple was built in 1200 AC and was rebuilt three times since then. The present church dates back to 1834, and it is a sample of the basilica and adorned with excellent icons. Among them, the "Virgin of Hope" in which the Catholics of Syros place great reverence. In 1652 it became a cathedral. The bishop Andreas Kargas was hanged by the Turks in 1617 along with his secretary.

It is then that most of the files of the Diocese were destroyed. Whatever survived that is kept in the Historical Research Center of the Catholic Diocese, where there are very important documents on the history of the island.