Oasis Rooms & Studios - Oasis Rooms & Studios

universal-preloader
A- A A+

contrast-1127231849

FacebookTwitterGoogle BookmarksLinkedinRSS Feed

Holy Church of Resurrection (Anastasi)

Built at the top of hill Dili, the orthodox church of Resurrection seems to compensate the dominating form of the catholic St. George at the hill of Ano Syros. The original (1858) project of the Municipality of Ermoupolis was to be set up a monument dedicated to the victims of the Revolution in this place, which was placed finally in front of Saint Nicholas church, the new church though was dedicated to the "Resurrection of the Nation". 

It was founded in 1873, designed by D. Eleftheriadis, but was only completed in 1909. It is a church with a cruciform design with a dome, quite heavy, with ashlar masonry and rack strips on the facades made of brick and marble around the window and door frames.

The interior is divided by arches and pillars into three aisles, it has a few neo-classical elements, carved pulpit (a copy of the pulpit of St. Nicholas) and his throne, and many icons of the 19th century.