Oasis Rooms & Studios - Oasis Rooms & Studios

universal-preloader
A- A A+

contrast-1127231849

FacebookTwitterGoogle BookmarksLinkedinRSS Feed

St. Nicholas Church

Saint Nicholas is the patron and protector of Syros seafarers. The temple was built in 1848 and the construction work lasted until 1905. It is basilica type and stands out majestic with its blue dome and bell tower, while the ship comes into the harbor. It was named "Rich" to distinguish it from the "Poor" Saint Nicholas of Ano Syros, which was the first Orthodox church on the island. To the cost of the church contributed many donors, especially ship owners from Chios that lived in Syros at the time.

It has a magnificent marble pediment on its facade and a portico with ionic columns. The interior features arches on piers, a women's area, interesting hagiography, lintels carved with floral decoration, a fine marble altar and a pulpit, as well as a bishop's throne.